Saturday, April 23, 2011

First Tutorial! How to Create Paper Flower Hair Clips Out of Scrapbook Paper!

Hello everyone!  Sorry it has taken me so long to actually create this tutorial.  I have been busy - it is awesome!  :)

First, I would like to point out a few things... 
  • TootyFruity took half the pictures, so lets just say they aren't perfect (but A for effort!)
  • My mother is going to cringe when she notices my chipped nails as she always does (2 kids, pregnant, full-time school, new business, yes - I am making excuses!!! :)
  • Lastly, I am a perfectionist when it comes to my actual product, but my work space, uhhhhhh NOT so much.  So, if you cringe at the sight of dirty work spaces - this may not be the blog for you :) 

Okay, moving on - this tutorial is going to show you how to make easy paper flowers with simple and inexpensive materials.  You can definitely put your own creativity into these (make them bigger, smaller, different colors, different embellishments, make them into tall flowers with pipe cleaner, hang from the ceiling with wire, etc.).  I personally will be creating these for my daughters vintage inspired 7th birthday and doing all of the above and including some in the gift bag :)  Can't wait to share those pics!

Okay, lets get to the point, please see pics and easy directions (shown underneath picture) below...


Materials:  Mod Podge (matte kind shown, but can use any kind), two different kind of scrapbook paper, felt (with something to create a small circle - I show a little medicine liquid dispenser), paint brush/sponge, pencil, scissors, glue gun, cardboard/towel/hard surface (you don't mind getting dirty), ribbon lined alligator clip (on not lined), embellishment

Cut one scrapbook paper 3 1/2 inches by 3 3/4 inches and the other 2 1/2 inches by 2 3/4 inches.  You can make these squares smaller or larger depending on the project.  I typically make them a tiny bit smaller for hair clips (and always end up trimming the larger flower to match better) or much bigger for stemmed paper flowers.



Draw a flower (almost to the edge) of each square.  Obviously, by looking at my drawings, these do not need to be perfect lol.  Also, you can create any shape you want for these (you can even find templates online for small flowers).  I did very basic and easy flower shapes.  Cut them out and now you have your two layers (if you are feeling really brave, you can create three, four or even five layers!). 



Grab your Mod Podge and paint on a medium to thick layer onto one side of each flower and let dry for 15 to 20 minutes.  Once this side is dry (very important they are dry!) flip over and paint the other side of each flower as well.  Let dry 15 - 20 minutes (I finished a few other projects while they were drying :).


Layer the flowers (don't glue yet) and crumple, fold, chew (just kidding - wanted to see if you were paying attention) the flowers to get a less perfect flat paper.  The Mod Podge will make these much more durable (you will see when they are dry)!  I am sure they could rip, so be kinda careful, but they are pretty durable.


With your glue gun put a medium sized dot on the top of the bottom layer of the flower (larger piece).  Again, I actually cut down the size of the larger flower because it was too big in comparison to the smaller piece.  Place your finger on top for 10 - 15 seconds to secure them together.  Almost done!!! 


Choose your embellishment.  I show some different options above (shimmery pink flower, button, hard floral rosette, purple faux pearl).  I end up using the shimmery pink flower and the purple faux pearl, but anything would look cute!  :)  Glue these embellishments with hot glue gun to complete flower.



Cut a small felt flower circle and glue one side.  Place glued side on the bottom of your flower for added security and to prep it for attaching to the alligator clip.


Line the top of the alligator clip (not the curved part, only the straight part of the top) with hot glue and attached to the bottom of the flower (in the middle of the felt circle).
Viola!  You have a cute and easy durable paper flower hair clip!  Perfect for casual outfits for your little TootyFruity or Monkey's or yourself!  Quick and easy way to match your outfit! 
Well, there you have it...  my first tutorial.  I am sure pictures, projects and descriptions will get much better lol :) 

Please let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment